Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Adding Absolutely Nothing to My Owl Movie

I made this Monster Owl in Animation class a few days ago. I really liked him and since I have no project I'm working on with him, I thought I might use it for Visual Effects class. What I didn't realize is that I kind of liked the way the owl monster was. He was simple, there was no background and I liked him that way.

That being said, I thought I'd make the movie a little weirder. A little less explanatory. So, first I used a shape layer to make all of the stars. I made the movement of one star and then copied it and pasted a bunch all over the scene. That way they would all sort of rotate in unison. They hardly rotate, though, which was what I was going for.

The next part was trickier. I wanted to play with masks a little, but I just couldn't get it to work in my scene. I wanted a moon to rise and to suck up the little owl. But, the way I composited all of the leaves etc didn't work with my mask idea. So, I decided to go with what I knew: the paintbrush. I wanted his twirling, flying motion to seem unreal, and so why he's flying all of this lush garden grows. With purple flowers. And then, when he glides back down to his branch they disappear and he blinks. I think the only problem with my construction here was that the video is too short for this to really make sense. It looks dumb. Third week of dumb looking projects. Bleh.





Here is the original, compare and notice how when I didn't add effects it's cooler.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...his outline gets lost on the black space bgd. Its more expressive against white. Maybe a moon?

    ReplyDelete